[chbot] Urgent help with disk partitioning

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 04:42:48 BST 2023

Just as an aside, I forgot to mention the higher levels of my disk
management.

My latest PC for example uses 3x4T disks in software raid5 with one 4T
drive spare. On top of that I have a single Volume Group of ~6T  which it
split into multiple Logical volumes with various filesystem types depending
on the number of files in that particular volume - generally ext4 but
volumes that store large video files I prefer jfs as there are likely not
so many files.

Backup strategy is regular 'dar'  (Disk ARchive - like tar but more
recently designed for disks, does compression and encryption as you'd
expect)  use which allows simple inclusion and exclusions of the whole
directory tree. The backup is copied to another PC or USB disk, keeping the
last 2-3 resident, the catalog has a copy on the originating PC so it's
simple to find where an accidentally deleted file is!

I think I've done quite well on the last PC with 2 disks replaced in its 10
year life and no data loss.

Cheers