[chbot] Cutting acrylic sheet

Robin Hartley robin.hartley at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jul 8 06:31:52 BST 2023

Hi Robin,

Used gently power tools work fine on acrylic.

I'm cutting 2mm acrylic at the moment for window double glazing and use a fine tooth blade (40 Tooth 10 inch blade) on the saw bench.

The important thing is to feed slowly as it's easy to get carried away. You'll get no resistance so there's no feel to slow you down.

Do a trial cut well away from your final line as a practice.

Jig saw and oscillating tools are not recommended as it can create vibration and cause cracking.

Check for a plastic supplier near you and you may find you can get a piece cut to size for quite a bit less than what Bunnings charge.
Curved corners will be extra.

I use Atomik Laser in Lower Hutt and it's about 1/2 the price of Bunnings so you should be able to find something local.

Regards,
Robin