[chbot] Transistor for Audio Amplifier Repair

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Sun Feb 19 07:36:54 GMT 2023

On Sun 19 Feb 2023 15:02:53 NZDT +1300, Spencer Travers wrote:

> I had thought of using a 7815 voltage regulator but I think the input
> voltage would be too high.

A quick check of 2 different 78Mxx say absolute max is Vin 35V, so
useful up to 30V or 32V. All the 78xx should be the same.
The mounting tab is connected to ground though.

If you're desperate, try a single or multiple series zeners on the
input? Remember the reverse bypass diode if needed for the amp (depends
on how rails drop when you turn the whole thing off), 78xx blow up if
output exceeds input voltage.

But any TO220 NPN with a suitable voltage and beta rating do the trick
there.