[chbot] Heavy cable, terminations & crimp tool to replace golf cart cable

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:03:37 GMT 2023

Further reading indicates that most carts are wired with #6 cable - in
other words 4mm, 13mm^2. That would appear to be the case with mine but
with 30 years of corrosion in the cables they get nice and toasty after
half an hour.
Recommendations are to go to #4 (5mm, 21mm^2) with no need to go bigger
unless upgrading to a much bigger motor/controller.
I'm not convinced. Put your foot down to start towing a full grass sweeper
and it pulling north of 100amps @ 36v so I'm inclined to go with minimum
6mm (25mm^2) with no objection to 8mm (35mm^2). The bigger the cable the
less loss twixt battery & motor (and at 36v you can't afford to loose
10-20v like with a mains circuit!!)
All terminal lugs are 8mm as far as I can see (reversing switch and
batteries at least).

The main stumbling block is one battery terminal stud that had an 8mm nut
forced onto a 5/16 stud (or vice versa - not clear) so the stud just turns.
The stud is actually a bolt moulded into the lead post with the head at the
bottom where you can't get to it. I'm hoping a 3mm hole drilled in from the
side will allow me to wedge it enough to undo the nut. I really don't want
to splash out $350 for the sake of one bolt!

Cheers