[chbot] Software filter. Fast attack, slow decay

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 05:34:30 BST 2022

Here's another question for you all!!

I'm trying to implement "something like" a VU Meter in software (in an
embedded system so it has to be small & fast).
The hardware equivalent to a diode running into an RC filter

          |\ |             R
   in ----|  |----------vvvvvv--------- out
          |/ |                    |
                                 ___
                                 ___  C

My first port of call for filters is an IIR but that does not have the fast
attack I'm after, especially if I want the long tail.

Does anyone have any magic that doesn't disappear into a morass of DFTs and
FFTs and 3 page equations summing integrals from 0 to infinity ;)

Cheers - hopefully see you tomorrow.

--
Robin Gilks