[chbot] Home server

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Thu Jul 21 01:55:17 BST 2022

On Thu 21 Jul 2022 12:06:49 NZST +1200, Marshland Engineering wrote:

> I'm back on the internet hosting again. Freeparking have be bought by Crazy
> Domains

Yes, quite a while ago, and I only noticed when domains4less moved
domains + email to some offshore budget blabla aka Crazy Domains. I
wasn't crazy enough to accept offshore with whoknowswhere call centre
from companies registered in taxdodgeland for sensitive stuff like
domains and emails.

You can still get NZ hosting, it's all through Voyager and their
subsidiaries. 1stdomains.nz or net24.co.nz are your choice for domains
and email, and web hosting. Support is excellent, qualified (customer
service knows what a name server is, unlike Vodafone, and unlike Vodafone
tech(!) support after it's been elevated - "I've only been working here 3
weeks" - I kid you not), but it's a few $ more. Worth it if you value
your time and cortisol levels.

DIY requires a static IP, they don't seem to come cheap these days. For
something really small and non-critical, home hosting may be OK. Email
is trickier. For both, any higher load and your connection is finished.

Web hosting is easy, email not so much. You may be able to get a basic
mail system configured sort of out of the box, but security is really
really really important, requires lots of knowledge, and you're on your
own. You do have total control, I'm fancying finer-grained access
control. But if someone doesn't like you, or a gazillion spammers want
to make their offers at once, your whole Internet goes down.

Have a look at netcup.eu VPS hosting, a fraction of the price of local
offers, seems to be good, and at some level you get ssh root login and
can "rm -rf /" or config everything kaputt all while your Internet keeps
going.

HTH,