[chbot] BMS - How they work?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:19:52 GMT 2022

Well, if the charger clamps the voltage at 4.2 V per cell the current will decrease to zero as
the cell is approaching that voltage. And if the charger's maximum current is less than the
cell's maximum charging current there won't be a need for any extra current limiting at the
beginning of the charging procedure. So the simplest (and cheapest...) charger could simply be a
constant voltage source with limited current. In practice this may lead to problems, however, as
the cell voltage will drop somewhat once the charge current stops, and then current would flow
again if the charger were simply 4.2 V constant, which could eventually damage the cells. So
some shutdown would be required. In practice this could be achieved by shutting down based on a
combination of voltage and current (or maybe even current alone) - if the charging current drops
below a certain level the charger should simply shut down. Cell balancing in series-connected
batteries would still have to be considered, though.

Also, most of these rechargeable Li-ion technologies do not particularly like being fully
charged anyway - so in principle it might be preferable to only ever (or mostly anyway) charge
them to an end voltage slightly below 4.2 V instead. However, this would not work if the cells
are always connected in series, because in that case full charging may be required to ensure
balanced charging between cells...

And what is the issue with the "vehicle or bike"? Is this something existing with a nominally 12
V charging system for lead-acid batteries? Or some other context?

Kind regards,

Helmut.