[chbot] Benchtop power supply and battery charger recommendations

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 02:58:16 BST 2021

Hello,

The hobby ISDT chargers will work up to about 30V output. So it will not work unless you have a BMS in the batteries. I also picked up a 48V -> 13.8V DC 15A BUCK converter, that will allow the 10S pack to be used with various other gear. This works well. I also have a 12V -> 48V adapter for charing from 12V DC source.

I can only say that the ISDT chargers are really nice. The more expensive ones like the Q8 Pro support up to 12S PB chemistry. I would say even the expensive ISDT chargers are very cheap considering the features you get. One note, the fuses inside them require replacement if you pop one (at least on the models I have replaced there fuses on).

If you are looking at ISDT for Li-Ion 10S+ there are only a couple of chargers they offer in that space.

I would suggest that you do look at a BMS to manage the 10S pack and then charge with the electric scooter charger or any 48V source. Very easy. If you need to charge at higher rate then the ISDT higher end models may be an option. If you get one of the higher end units would love to take a look. I have not seen or used one in person. But they seem great in terms of the specs.

If you wanted to borrow a ISDT charger to take a look, let me know. I could even bring one or two along to a meeting sometime if that would help you to see the interface.

Henri