[chbot] slow motor

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 22:55:14 GMT 2021

Thanks for the ideas

Some of the experiments I've done with drill motors have been a real
disappointment. By the time I've got the speed down to about 1rpm there is
just no torque - certainly not the 10kg pull I get with the existing setup.
Adding more gearing is not viable at this time of year - too much else to
do!!

A  bit of background I think to what I'm up to.

I'm refurbishing an existing system so of course I want to make minimal
changes.
In order to simplify the mechanical linkage I opted a few years ago to open
the window(s) with a spring and pull closed with a stainless wire on a
capstan driven by a wiper motor. Much easier than pushing rods. The springs
are from a slab garage door mech so are just wound up on a 25mm tube and
all the parts seem to be easy to get from the dumpster at the garage door
manufacturers workshops (springs, tube, bearings, clamps etc). The pull
wire has stops fixed to it that hit the limit microswitches to cut the
power when fully open or closed.

It's this simple basic system I'm trying to duplicate for a second window
hence the need for another motor. The controller I made some 6 years ago
already supports a second motor with independent sensor as well as remote
control using a NRF24l01. Details at https://github.com/g8ecj/tunhouse It
runs on either an Arduino nano or a stm32 blue pill.

For the moment I'll just set up the one motor I already have and continue
to see what else I can use.

Cheers