[chbot] AVR linker issue (?)

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jul 18 06:02:55 BST 2021

Thanks everyone.

font.h already includes the extern ext, see below.

Col, thanks for taking the trouble, it is almost certainly a compiler
problem.

I have been poking around in the .O files using avr-objdump and font.o
appears to be missing ext_font whereas it is in one of the .text.
sections associated with main.c.

I also updated the sample to use a volatile index to fetch data from
each array (just in case the optimiser got clever and replaced each
array with a single byte read); no change.

I moved both arrays into PROGMEM, and attempted to read using
pgm_read_byte(). No change in reported error, and still no sign of an
array in font.o.

Loaded both arrays with non-zero values just in case the compiler was
trying to get clever, and return 0 for any indexed read.

Finally changed the arrays to have different content, just in case the
compiler attempted to share identical arrays.

That was a couple of hours fun, and I don't want to be right, I just
want to be happy (who said that ???).

Anyway, taken the B plan and dropped the font file directly into the LCD
driver module, added a simple character interface and all done.

Now know a lot more than I would have liked about this particular
toolchain (which includes the ATmega328PB) and the SSD1306 based OLED
I2C LCD displays (only need text, and refuse to use the Arduino IDE).

Regards,

-Mark