[chbot] Compiler optimisation

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 00:47:52 BST 2021

Many thanks to the contributions - I'm making progress.

Turns out I have 2 issues with the jpeg encoder.
1. A library function (closed source, no idea what it does inside) gets
clobbered when optimise is cranked up, looks like an undocumented 'feature'
of just how large a working area is required by the encoder and what I had
allocated was being overflowed. (I found a worked example that used much
larger buffers than I had and that works fine, unfortunately the
undocumented bit is how the buffer size is determined).

2. The module that works OK with optimisation off is full of DMA interrupt
hazards! The stm32f7 jpeg hardware encoder/decoder  (
https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00356635-hardware-jpeg-codec-peripheral-in-stm32f7677xxx-and-stm32h743534555475750a3b3b0xx-microcontrollers-stmicroelectronics.pdf)
is fast but it looks like the silicon has been borrowed from elsewhere and
it has a lot of constraints - like aligned and uncached memory otherwise it
just silently fails. I'm working my way through this module to try and
understand where it errors. Basically an RGB buffer is converted to YCbCr
(which is OK, despite my original thoughts) and the MCU (Minimum Coded
Unit) so generated is DMAed into the JPEG engine and it coughs out JPEG
data (again via DMA) into another buffer. It goes round and round
processing the original bmp image until a new image 30th the size is
created!

I'm hoping that a bit of quiet time with the code in front of me will
reveal where the problems lie.

Cheers