[chbot] Solar panel, side reflectors

Robin Gilks gb7ipd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 09:55:05 GMT 2021

I was waiting for his shirt to burst into flame as he waved that big lens
about :)

If he is as stingy with his facts on this one as his last video with the
hot water heating vs PV then a good hard look at the overall system costs
would be appropriate.

PV for hot water:

   - uses existing cylinder
   - uses existing heating element
   - built in backup if no sun
   - only requires a DC rated contactor with the existing thermostat
   - cables are easier to run than pipes

Thermal for hot water

   - needs a new cylinder
   - expensive pipe-work to the roof
   - steam vents required for when max temperature reached
   - controller with sensors in the cylinder and on the roof
   - frost protection or antifreeze and an even more expensive indirect
   coil cylinder
   - mains power required for a pump (unless one of those tanks on the roof
   systems is used - not good in an earthquake zone!)

Based on current pricing a 3kw equivalent system has the PV at less than
half the price!