[chbot] Electrical Meter LED pulse detection and capture

Tokala tokalanz at protonmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:42:47 BST 2021

Hi

Sorry I haven't replied before now. I'm working through lockdown so have been very busy.

My power usage monitor uses an Arduino ESP8266 that has a small LDR circuit that collects the pulses from my power meter. My meter pulses 1000 times per Kw/H. https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZdce2HDEbvERMRf9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bg7j75GA8e5rhpWE8

The ESP8266 subscribes to a channel on my MQTT server. The ESP8266 listens to the channel and when I put a particular command on the channel, the ESP8266 sends its current pulse count onto a second channel. The ESP8266 counter is then reset to zero. I poll the channel every 5 minutes so I'm getting the power usage at a 5 minute cadence.

A script on my home automation server reads the pulse count MQTT channel and then uploads the value to a No-SQL database (InfluxDB https://www.influxdata.com/products/influxdb/). No-SQL allows you to place any information, in any format, into the database so I can use the same database for many different applications.

To graph the power usage I use Grafana. https://grafana.com, it queries the InfluxDB directly and give a nice pretty interface. Gafana allows you to drill down on data and export in CSV.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUvp7WFJgxsQsjHQ6

Darran

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.