[chbot] High voltage batteries and electrolytic capacitors

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Wed Sep 30 23:18:44 BST 2020

At a previous company, when I did hardware develoment, the policy was
200% maximum design voltage. For example
Nominal 12 V, with 5% regulator -> maximum design voltage is 12 V x
1.05 = 12.6 V. Minimum capacitor voltage rating: 25.2 V, so you would
have to use a 35 V capacitor, not the 25 V one.
There was some flexibility. If space or cost were tight, we could
probably negotiate the smaller one in this example, because it is all
under our control. But for external inputs, where things are less
controlled, we would go the other way.

No idea where you would find 800 V capacitors?

EV City (Waltham Street) have a Nissan Leaf cut in half (diagonally, so
it is still has 4 wheels and is drivable) showing the internal
components. I think they also have an open drive unit and control unit.
You might be able to see what they use.

Stephen Irons