[chbot] New outdoor security cameras for sale.

Cass Jones cass at cassjones.net
Tue Oct 27 04:23:39 GMT 2020

FYI I have just been playing with an aliexpress wifi camera that I made
the same assumption about, the documentation it came with suggests you
can only use it over the internet via the mobile app, but it seems that
quite often they're actually runningĀ  a local RTSP server. If that is
the case for your camera, then once it's on the wifi you can connect to
it by discovering it's local IP address (either by checking your router
/ dhcp server for new devices or by scanning your network for devices
listening on port 554)
To test it you can connect with VLC (media -> open network stream) using
the url format rtsp://192.168.0.117:554 (replacing the ip address with
your cameras ip).
I then blocked my camera's internet access using the router's firewall
so it didn't send it's stream off to whatever 3rd party service and I
access it using an android app called onvifer.