[chbot] Wanting real data - How best to mount sensors outside in the elements?

Quentin McDonald dqmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:47:23 BST 2020

I would second the waterproofed one-wire sensors, they seem pretty robust.
Have been measuring ground temperature for a while now. I've also had
reasonable luck with Sistema food storage containers as a cheaper solution
compared to true weatherproof enclosures. They do eventually pick up some
UV damage but are so cheap it hardly matters.

I do have a question of my own. I want to augment my weather station with a
UV sensor and an infrared thermometer module to measure sky temperature.
But how to weatherproof them? From what I gather some types of acrylic are
UV transparent but how does one know which? And for IR  - can you even have
something between the sensor and the object you are trying to measure? I
did wonder if perhaps just a long thin tube to collimate it (since I only
want to measure a small section of the "sky" anyway). Then just hope for
the best with rain getting in...

Quentin