[chbot] PDP-8

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 08:30:05 GMT 2020

Hi Mark,

A huge thank you for posting about the PDP8 restoration, what an
interesting read.
I had the privilege to use a PDP8 in the early 1970's.
To start the machine we loaded 17 words of 12 bits each coded in octal on
the front panel switches to install the RIM loader by hand which would in
turn install the binary loader from paper tape. Then load in the Focal 8
programming language (again on paper tape) to start writing programs in
Focal8 using the teletype. Our machine was located in the Brunel University
engineering tower where the starting surge from the lift would often
scramble the core memory and the whole process had to be repeated...
When 100k byte floppy disks came along years later we could not believe our
good fortune.

Richard Jones

Four Yorkshiremen anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE