[chbot] Robotics Group meeting, Monday 16 Mar 2020, 6:30pm, 5 Idris Road

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Mar 16 09:10:15 GMT 2020

Hello everyone,

Given the viral threat, really wasn't too sure how this evening was
going to turn out, but we had a good time with several new faces, and 18
attendees.

Lots of pre-talk tech-chat, we collected $18 + change (in gold, and
flat-money) which has been transferred into the robotics loose-change
jar (for later banking).

Quick reminder: equipment donations are welcome for the trading table,
but no CRT based product, printers, toner or items that are likely to be
a disposal burden. All sales from the trading table should go into the
brown box on the wall, and are directly for the benefit of our host
club, NZART Branch 05.

Thank you everyone for managing the sign-in sheet and using the
elbow/feet greetings without complaint.

With thanks on behalf of the group,

Mark Atherton

============

Mark talked about some of his continuing adventures dealing with
mechanical fabrication when trying to pass electricity into a
high-vacuum (4 x 10-6 Torr) environment. Surprising amount of interest
in this odd(er) project.

William brought along his homemade 8-bit machine and associated Arduino
based SD card boot loader. He also demonstrated his large format (57mm x
154mm) 7 segment LED thermometer. Larger format display projects are on
the way ...

Russell talked about his 1965 vintage home-made ribbon microphone, and
tape recorder. Quite a task back in the day, and it sound like the whole
project worked well. Congratulations.

Jeffrey introduced some of his 3D printed projects, including some high
quality home-made tracks. The tracks were designed to go on
tracked-wheel model vehicles and were made by injecting a mix of
high-acid silicone sealant mixed with flour into 3D printed formers then
left for 24 hours to cure. Stunningly good outcome.