[chbot] LoRa boards, and Monday's extravaganza :)

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jan 19 06:34:12 GMT 2020

Just in case you haven't been following today's adventure, I managed to
brick a "SparkFun SAMD21 Pro RF" LoRa board, by loading some demo code.
Basically, the bootloader got clobbered.

Reasons still elude me exactly how this happened, and according to
several forums, it is quite a popular mode of failure.

Lots of work later, a replacement binary was found for the bootloader,
and some effort was put into trying to locate path-of-least-resistance
in terms of a programmer.

To cut a long story short, the SF board does have the two SWD pins
exposed, but to a pair of tiny and fragile (1.5mm) pads. And as you have
probably figured out by now, one of them broke off having been soldered to.

During this adventure, I had a chance to explore the competing product
by AdaFruit. This unit appears to be much better supported, and even has
a header for JTAG/SWD, as well as a how-to about reloading the bootloader.

So lessons have been learned, and I think that having a properly exposed
programming interface needs to be added to the shopping list when
exploring new hardware.

On a related subject, we are lucky enough to have two speakers tomorrow
evening talking about LoRa, one on The Things Network, the other about a
private wireless network.

Hope to see you there.

Regards, Mark