[chbot] Willowbank fibre network.

Peter Ellens ellensp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:51:19 GMT 2019

>> When I chatted to the enable guys they told me that little
>> splicing/fusing
>> gizmo they were using cost a few thousand bucks and needed training.
>> I don't think fibre is exactly a hobby installation.
> I believe the few $k bucks for the gizmo.
> I also believe training to be needed, for, uhhmm, not technically minded
> people, and would expect you could pick it up if someone showed you
> once.

The gear is quite expensive.

But it is not like there is only one in the country and is 100k like
when I did this stuff ( mid 1990's ).

As for training...  The Unit I used was very simply to operate, we had
no training.

You have a display that shows you both ends under very high
magnification. You use the control panel to align the two ends, one end
is fixed the other end is movable. You hit the splice button when you
have it aligned and an electrical arc joins both halves seamlessly.

Has it changed much since then? I am unable to say...