[chbot] ARM toolchain comparisons for STM32 F0, F1, and F4

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Thu Sep 13 23:53:24 BST 2018

> I have enjoyed PlatformIO in the past for simple things - except the IDE
> lock in as it does not produce make files for you... But it looks like
> there is STM32 support which may get you away from eclipse:
> http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/platforms/ststm32.html
>
> Can you try it and let us know how it compares?

Never having heard of PlatforIO before, I started at the 'about' page and
there the first sentence summed up the whole project for me

“Different microcontrollers normally have different developing tools . For
instance Arduino rely on Arduino IDE."

I've been using Arduino for over 10 years and never used the Arduino IDE
for anything other than looking at other peoples code so I guess the
people that designed it haven't been doing embedded software development
for over 40 years as I have...

Although the environment I use may not be the best, it is good enough and
certainly not worth the investment in jumping to another ship!

--
Robin Gilks