[chbot] Snubber circuits

Trevor Wignall zl3adz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:56:03 GMT 2018

I have also had experience of resistors failing. In these applications, the
continuous power rating of the resistor is largely irrelevant. The
resistors also have a voltage rating, which may be 200V for some SMT parts
or perhaps 500V for smaller through-hole parts. The datasheets also give
pulsed power ratings, which can be difficult to interpret and relate but
for short irregular pulses, can be summarised as an energy rating. For 0805
SMT parts, this can be embarrassingly low - under 10mJ if I recall
correctly. Part of the problem with many of these resistors is that the
resistive element is a thin layer on the ceramic substrate, and for short
pulses, there isn't time to conduct the heat from this layer into the
substrate or to the end caps and the PCB, so it overheats while the rest of
the device is cool.
We found that when ESD (electrostatic discharge) testing, the low value
resistors were fine - the discharge current wasn't high enough to generate
enough voltage across the resistor to exceed its pulsed energy rating with
the available charge. The high value resistors were also fine - the voltage
across them was too high and found another path, such as across the
surface. But the mid-value resistors were hammered, with the voltage and
charge product exceeding their energy rating.
In a snubber circuit, the resistor may carry the peak load current as the
capacitor charges up after the contact opens. However when the contact
closes, the resistor will discharge the capacitor which may be charged up
to the peak supply voltage, so the energy being dissipated is up to 1/2 C
Vpeak^^2.
Note that the snubber will also have the supply voltage across it in one
state (depending on the configuration), so the capacitor will have pretty
much all this voltage across it and carry a current of 2 Pi F V C, which
will cause I^^2 R heating of the snubber resistor. (This doesn't apply for
DC of course, where F = 0.) Obviously the continuous power rating of the
snubber resistor should be much higher than this power.
Hope this helps
Trevor