[chbot] Request for notes about 3D printing talk at the University, 24 July 2018

Colin Isenman cisenman at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:54:57 BST 2018

After assembling in the Mechanical Eng Lab the party went to the lecture theater where we were introduced to the many types, styles and applications of 3D printing. Although many of us were clearly aware of printing plastics, ibdustrial pribting of metals including titanium and stainless steel were quite novel. Equallt novel were engineering opportunities of minimalised structures, progressively refined through clever software using finite ekement analysis to peel away unnecessary materials, and the complementary problem of analyzing stresses in previously unimaginable complex structures. Important medical applications were also discussed.
We then went to the lab to look at some very expensive toys, and finally to the lab for a look at the experimental  car that has been gathering kudos in international competition, critical parts of which were 3D printed.
Thanks to our host for a very interesting evening!