[chbot] [random, but interesting (RBI)] LoraWAN: Extremely long range, low power wireless communication

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Mon Jan 8 21:16:38 GMT 2018

The early boards based on the ESP32 (WiPy2, LoPy, FiPy, etc) had two
design faults and could not achieve the claimed 10 uA deep-sleep
current [1] [2]. Pycom issued a separate plug-in board and a library
that brings the deep-sleep power down to 7--10 uA depending on the
wake-sources configured: timers or GPIO interrupts. Note that I have
not actually measured this deep-sleep power.

The ESP32 does not have the low-power peripherals that some of the
low-power ARM-core devices have: STM32 from ST or EFM32 from Silabs.
They have low-power UARTs (limited speed), timers, PWMs, capactive
sensors, and so on, as well as convenient ways for various peripherals
to trigger one another without waking the processor core.

In one application, we had a GPIO pin monitoring the RX line of a UART;
the GPIO was connected to a hardware timer. Any activity on the RX line
would keep resetting the timer. When the timer reached a certain count
(line idle), it would activate a different GPIO to enable a line
driver, then at a slightly later count, trigger a DMA controller that
would feed a sequence of bytes to the UART. When the last byte had been
sent, another hardware timer would start, and disable the line driver
when it timed out. It took a bit of setting up to program the GPIOs,
timers, DMA controllers, UARTs and event sequencer, and prepare the
message to send, but after it had been set up, the system did it all
without intervention from the processor.

Stephen Irons

[1] The GPIO pin that was meant to put the switching supply into a
low-power mode was not in the RTC power domain and so was not usable in
deep-sleep mode. The pin did not drive to the correct state, leaving
the power supply in its high-performance mode, consuming ~10 mA.

[2] The chip select for the flash chip floats in the low-power, leaving
the flash enabled, consuming ~2.5 mA.