[chbot] [random, but interesting (RBI)] LoraWAN: Extremely long range, low power wireless communication

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Sun Jan 7 23:20:22 GMT 2018

In case you want to play around with LoRaWAN, https://pycom.io/ sell
the 'LoPy', which gives you a LoRa modem and an ESP32 processor, with a
MicroPython interpreter. So you write your application in MicroPython
(Python3, almost the complete language, but with only a limited set of
libraries), and you have LoRa, LoRaWAN, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
connectivity, with rapidly improving libraries for using the ESP32
hardware devices for SPI, I2C, PWM, etc.

We developed a system for a client using the LoRa modem (the
spread-spectrum modulation) for short-ish-range communication through
bush, where its performance at low signal levels works well for us. We
do not use the whole LoRaWAN stack, as there is no LoRaWAN
infrastructure in our client's trial areas (remote Marlborough Sounds
and Haast), though Telecom was happy to set up a trial network for us
to test. It all worked fine, but battery life of the base station was
an issue; we needed a solar panel to provide enough power, and we have
had bad experiences with solar panels in the bush, where dead leaves
and general muck block the panel. So we would also need a mast to get
the panel above dead-leaf level. Instead, we install large Lithium
primary cells which give well over a year's operation.

Stephen