[chbot] stm32f103 blue pill power advise?

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Dec 23 18:13:39 GMT 2018

Hi Peter, Andrew,

I agree with Andrew, a Schottky diode in series with each rail should
work well.

However, if you don't want to modify the board then you need to put a
silicon diode in series with the external 5V supply. This is a bit rough
from an engineering point of view, but it may be OK.

If either USB or external 5V are applied with this situation then the
input to the regulator will be 5V (less any cable drops) with the USB
connected, and 5V less silicon diode volt drop (0.7V ?) = 4.3V if
external 5V is applied. So far so good.

If both USB *and* external 5V are applied, the silicon diode should be
reverse biased, and the unit should be powered off of USB power.

I say 'should' because if you have a poor quality USB cable (with thin
power wires), then a different justification is required; you may well
not get 5V from the PC at the processor board end. Under these
circumstances, the higher of the rails will actually feed power to the
CPU, and in the case of a cheap USB cable, there may be a little
back-powering of USB power to the PC.

However, as long as [External Supply - 0.7V] is below [PC 5V rail] any
back powering may only result in current being shared between the two
supplies.

To even consider my argument above as being valid, you need to
accurately measure USB supply at the processor end without ext 5V
applied, you then need to remove USB power, apply 5V via a silicon diode
and repeat the measurement.

What are you using for an external 5V supply ?

Please, can someone review my argument above, I am not sure if i have
had quite enough coffee yet :)

Regards, Mark

PS The CPU needs 3.3V, and the LDO regulator should be OK down to about
3.8V input rail.

PPS Jaycar sell diodes, see part number ZR1100

PPPS I have seen 1m cheap USB cables with 1 ohm resistance is the power
wires. Turned out that read and black wires were 90 microns(!) diameter.