[chbot] Matthias Wandel, and his amazing exploding SSR

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Thu Aug 23 05:20:28 BST 2018

On Thu 23 Aug 2018 13:12:13 NZST +1200, Mark Atherton wrote:

> Might be useful to find out the cold resistance of your load as a
> starting point; this will strongly affect initial inrush.

Yes. The Omron peak currents are 5-10x rated...

> ... and obviously (?) you need to size components around peak current.

It's a heater, so not that much higher when cold.

Element14 have Idec RSSDN-50A SSRs similar to those Fotek, 50A 550Vac
%58+GST. Interestingly, their datasheet recommends a resistive max load
of 25A, although it also says 50A continuous current is OK... I guess it
depends on the size of heat sink one wants to put up with. At a fraction
of the rated load the voltage drop may also be only a fraction. Omron
lists the number of heat sink fans required in their datasheet...