[chbot] 5.25" floppy drive anyone?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:20:42 BST 2018

Hmmm, a couple of comments and questions:

* The growth on optical lenses usually is fungal.
* Are you sure about wiping with alcohol? I haven't tried that, but the
point is that the actual disc in these floppies consists of a plastic
film substrate that is coated with a ferromagnetic layer - so is there a
risk of wiping the layer off the substrate? That wouldn't be good...
* There is a further risk: the read-write heads in the drive have a
fairly noticeably iron content, and in the typical healthy NZ salty
seaside atmosphere they tend to rust pretty badly over the years. The
rust on the head is pretty abrasive - so if you haven't used a drive for
a long time, and particularly if it's been in storage in a well vented
garage or shed, check the head surface for smoothness, and remove rust
first if needed.

Kind regards,

Helmut.