[chbot] New valve

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Nov 21 03:00:00 GMT 2017

On Tue 21 Nov 2017 13:02:05 NZDT +1300, Marshland Engineering wrote:

> odd. It was common to see valve amps with 10% distortion figures quoted and
> transistor with 0.01 %
>
> When you overdrive valves, as the base guitarists did, it really didn't sound
> that bad.
>
> Roll on valves.

You are making assumptions - that valve amps are the *only* way to
create deliberate distortion^H^H^H sound effects. I disagree with the
assumption and consequently with the conclusion... You couldn't create
even-order distortions on top of those 0.01%? The most major downside
seems to be the aesthetics compared with a glowing bump of 1920
technology that looks cool at night...