[chbot] Personal Laser Cutter

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jun 22 11:14:35 BST 2017

Hey Jody,

Lots of things to like about that unit including the honeycomb support
surface, and that it uses an IR laser. You may need additional blower(s)
to pull out the fumes. MDF and acrylic cutting can make a big mess of
your local atmosphere and give you headaches+.

Ask the seller if the units is complete, or will you need to buy an
extra water chiller to cool the laser. Also, do you need an extra air
compressor to cool the lens-head assembly ??

Spent some time with a 160W unit trying to cut ply; ended up starting a
fire inside the material, this was exterior grade ply. Before you spend
your money, maybe get some ply samples, and find a local firm with a
cutter, and get some test cuts done. MDF is easy, although you may be
pushing you luck with 12mm, and 80w; maybe the cutting will just be slow...

Send details of the product to <feedback at customs.govt.nz> and ask about
import requirements; you will save yourself a lot of headaches by asking
the questions first. You may need a license to import it (have needed
one for some Aglient equipment -- easy, free). Have had several
retraction with customs, they have been all positive. You can't sneak a
product like this into the country without them spotting it :) Suggest
that you sort out/understand paperwork ahead of times and save yourself
surprises and headaches later.

Personally wouldn't spend that kind of money at Aliexpress; just too
risky. Maybe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-50W-Linear-Guide-Engraving-Machine-4060-Laser-Cutting-Machine-220V-NEW-Y-/171913879516
and using Paypal (who have decent protection, should the transaction, or
delivery turn to custard).

Finally, the software. make sure that the unit can do vector graphics
(preferably from layered DXF). You don't want to cut from a raster image
with one of these...

The 4060 on Aliexpress is 80W, the same unit on eBay is 50W,
interesting, be careful.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/other/auction-1353032252.htm
interesting price difference between T/me and ebay. Might be able to
find a user who has bought one from this guy, and ask about the product
directly.

HTH, Mark

=========