[chbot] RISC-V micro-controller.

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Wed Jan 4 03:03:29 GMT 2017

at 2:51 PM, hamster <hamster at snap.net.nz> wrote:

>> I got a SiFive
HiFive1 RISC-V devboard for Christmas - the hint to my wife worked. The
board I got was an "early access" model of
https://www.sifive.com/products/hifive1/ [1]

> Soft cores are
interesting & fun to play with.

Not that it makes much difference to
Charles' points regarding licensing, but for this board the core is
"fully hardened" - implemented in silicon using a TSMC 180nm process and
running at about 300MHz, with JTAG and debug and so on.

The confusion
is understandable, as RISC-V is also available as a soft core, and 1,680
processors have been implemented inside a single (eye-wateringly
expensive) FPGA, complete with a Network-on-chip infrastructure...
https://twitter.com/jangray/status/814757136659906560

Mike

Links:
------