[chbot] 9.6" tablet for < NZ$300

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 07:37:33 BST 2017

Be aware that most tablets cannot provide much power over OTG. They can
provide enough to power a USB drive, and some can power a mouse. But when I
tried to power a atmega32u2 development board via OTG, it was very
dependent on the tablet make/model as to whether it could manage.

Stackexchange
<https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/181500/how-much-current-can-an-android-phones-usb-port-supply>
says:

> The OTG spec calls for at least 8mA and allows negotiation for higher
> currents if the peripheral needs more power. OTG devices can provide up to
> 500mA, but in realistic terms, handheld portable electronics don't have
> 500mA to spare for external loads. 100mA is a commonly accepted realistic
> maximum.

So you may want to check with people who actually have the tablet you wish
to buy.