[chbot] ESP8266 vs ESP32

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Mon Apr 10 23:09:26 BST 2017

ESP8266 can go into coma if you try hard enough - maybe it is the
same for ESP32. Apparently the secret is to remove the power LED :-)

https://openhomeautomation.net/esp8266-battery/

Mike

PS. Your
ESP32 has tinyBASIC in it's on-chip ROM. Apparently I am to blame.

http://hackaday.com/2016/10/27/basic-interpreter-hidden-in-esp32-silicon/

On 11.04.2017 09:14, Charles Manning wrote:

> Stephen
>
> If you
want low power/long batter life then, unfortunately, you need to design
for it.

> About 18 months ago I did a BTLE project using those Nordic
Semi nRF51822 parts. That has an incredibly good sleep profile and you
can get one of those to wake up from BTLE sub-second and still get
months of battery life.

> If you then can use a part like this to
power up the power hungry components when required you might be able to
make a nice deep sleeping system.

2017 at 9:19 PM, <stephen.irons at clear.net.nz> wrote:

>> I have used
the ESP32 as included on the recently released WiPy2 module, as well as
the LoPy (EPS32 with an additional LoRa radio device connected via SPI).
These are available from www.pycom.io [4].

>> I have used Wi-Fi and
LoRa only. One of our guys has played with the BLE, I wll ask how well
it worked.

>> I have not tested the Wi-Fi range; we use it around
the office only. The LoRa range was phenomenal (but very low data rate).

>> The WiPy family run MicroPython. It works rather well, but, as
expected with firmware that is only a few months old, there are a number
of significant bugs in both the ESP development tools and the
Micropython firmware (but obviously no problems with my Python code!)

>> The Micropython firmware includes libraries for SPI and I2C
which I have used to talk to other devices (temperature sensors,
Panasonic Grideye device, etc).

>> The Micropython firmware also
has drivers for various LCD modules, as well as libraries for drawing
lines and text on full-graphics LCDs. I have not actually used these
libraries. I'm not sure about 480x320 pixels: most examples are for
128x96, with 12K pixels rather than 150K.

>> Power consumption is
disappointingly high, if that is a concern. 2xAA cells would last days
or weeks with Wi-Fi off, rather than months or years.

>> Stephen
Irons

<robin at gilks.org> wrote:

>>> I know a few peeps have used the
ESP8266 but I wonder if anyone has tried the newer all shiny ESP32 (dual
core, BLE etc). I'm particularly interested in the range compared to say
a Lantronics XPICO which is physically about the same size (maybe a bit
bigger) and whether the GPIO can drive a small (say 480x320) tft display
in either 8 bit or SPI modes (I can't see enough pins for 16 bit).
Cheers
_______________________________________________ Chchrobotics mailing
list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/ [2] Meetings
usually 3rd Monday each month. See http://kiwibots.org [3] for venue,
directions and dates. When replying, please edit your Subject line to
reflect new subjects.

list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

> Mail