[chbot] Diligent USB test tools

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Sun Apr 9 22:54:19 BST 2017

>From what I understand, the original design was a Cypress EZ USB FX2
reference design just configured for sampling bits, and all the smarts
are in the free-to-download PC software. With that in mind I will leave
this here, with out any comment on the moral dilemma it presents:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-USB-SALEAE-24M-8CH-Logic-Analyzer-W-Lines-and-USB-Cable-for-SCM/32778984625.html

But do have a listen to
http://theamphour.com/237-an-interview-with-joe-and-mark-garrison-subtly-spelling-sayleeay/
- it is a very interesting.

Mike

<markaren1 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>> Which Salaea do you have Charles ?
>

> I have one of the old original ones: 8-bt, 24MHz devices they don't
sell any more. The new devices are up to 100MHz. Small print: you
probably can only get 100MHz if you're sampling 2 or 4 bits.

> At one
customer's place there was a problem with some SPI comms getting screwed
up. Very intermittent (one per hour or more). They had a $20k logic
analyser with about a 1-minute deep buffer. Could not catch the
problem.

> We set up the salaea and ran it for an hour. Problem
captured. Problem fixed 20 minutes later.

9/04/2017 6:24 PM, Charles Manning wrote:

>>> I'm with Mike on
this.

>>> Nice looking kit, but a real pity it only has 16k
buffers.

>>> Being able to stream with the Salaea makes for
something quite amazing. I've used it for logging, then analysing many
hours of samples.

<jumbledthoughts389 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
kart link doesn't work (at least not on my smart phone).
the items I was referring to:

http://www.digikey.co.nz/product-detail/en/digilent-inc/410-321/1286-1117-ND/5810115
[9]
http://www.digikey.co.nz/product-detail/en/digilent-inc/240-052/1286-1050-ND/4090099
[10]
http://www.digikey.co.nz/product-detail/en/digilent-inc/410-263/1286-1073-ND/4840860
[11]
http://www.digikey.co.nz/product-detail/en/digilent-inc/460-004/1286-1075-ND/4840870
[12]

grabbers, and maybe get cheaper BNC probes elsewhere, but I am still
looking at ~$500.
electronics equipment. Christchurch Robotics may be bad for my wallet :)

wrote:

> [...]
I'd like some BNC scope probes with it.

kart at Digi-Key, with the equivalent items. $530.11.
(http://www.digikey.co.nz/short/3w53b8 [7])

want the scope, $442.86 from Digi-Key. Much better than Element 14 or
RS-Online

Mike Field wrote:

> [...]
I can lend you mine for a few days.

all trades, master of none - main restriction being usable bandwidth and
sample buffer sizes are limited.

a Saleae is 100x better as samples are streamed to the PC for analysis
and decode.

probes is better/usable, and has more bandwidth.

bench PSU would be a better PSU.

of all the functions that is awesome, esp between the signal generator
and the scope inputs (so you can test phase and freq response of the
system under test).

your hand, making it handy if working within its limitations. Much like
any Swiss Army Knife/Leatherman tool I guess

Diligent USB test tools
Christchurch Robotics

Have just been forwarded this message, and am taking the liberty of

from element 14, even so, an interesting

http://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-100msps-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/
[1]

http://uk.farnell.com/digilent/410-321/oscilloscope-usb-2-ch-30mhz-100msps/dp/2528523
[2]

it's a cooperation between Analog
signal conditioning and interfacing) and Xilinx,
logic, but put together by Digilent, who sell Xilinx

development systems... Initially just a reference design, i.e. a

design has turned into a really cool bit of kit at a very acceptable

page). Its a really
waveform generator channels,
too. 14-bit A/D/A as well, not the

ADCs, it
The software is

small unit to keep with the laptop, there's not a lot to argue

about... I keep mine with the laptop at all times. The wiring harnesses

the AD2 that you are
takes literally a minute (or

using it on the flight from the UK back to the UAE last week - I

uninterrupted development
are wonderful. No problems from
I told the steward in advance I was an EE
working on the 'plane - I also made sure to keep any
LEDs concealed

just so cute!

(1MΩ, ±25V, differential,
with the Analog Discovery BNC
Two-channel arbitrary function generator (±5V, 14-bit, 100MS/s,

12MHz+ bandwidth - with the Analog Discovery BNC Adapter Board
Stereo audio amplifier to drive external headphones or speakers

with replicated AWG signals
(3.3V CMOS and 1.8V or 5V
16-channel pattern generator (3.3V CMOS, 100MS/s)
virtual digital I/O including buttons, switches, and
perfect for logic training applications
digital trigger signals for linking multiple
CMOS)
Network analyzer - Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a

power spectrum and spectral measurements (noise
SNR, THD, etc.)
Parallel)
Discovery 2

each supply or 500mW total when powered through USB

...2.1W max for each supply when powered by an auxiliary supply. 700mA

17th, they have also released a fully-fledged logic analyser

version, the Digital Discovery for $199 -

http://store.digilentinc.com/digital-discovery-portable-logic-analyzer-and-digital-pattern-generator/
[3]
analyser & pattern generator

mailing list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/ [5]

Meetings usually 3rd Monday each month. See http://kiwibots.org [6] for
venue, directions and dates.
Subject line to reflect new subjects.

mailing list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/ [5]

Meetings usually 3rd Monday each month. See http://kiwibots.org [6] for
venue, directions and dates.
Subject line to reflect new subjects.

-------------------------

been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com [8]

Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/ [5]

Meetings usually 3rd Monday each month. See http://kiwibots.org [6] for
venue, directions and dates.
Subject line to reflect new subjects.

_______________________________________________ Chchrobotics mailing
list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/ [5] Meetings
usually 3rd Monday each month. See http://kiwibots.org [6] for venue,
directions and dates. When replying, please edit your Subject line to
reflect new subjects.

list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz

list Chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz