[chbot] Old computer stuff

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:31:28 BST 2016

There's one potential issue to be aware of when using old floppy drives
that have been sitting around unused for a longer time pretty much
anywhere in NZ (except maybe Central Otago): due to our healthy salty
sea air the heads can rust, and the rust then destroys the medium... a
visual inspection of the medium will shows this as circular scratches.
(Don't ask how I come to know this...)

However, floppy is not the only option. The HD may still mount in
computers with old PATA controller. Alternatively, seeing the small size
of only 40 MB, transfer via some sort of cable should also work. The
gold standard from back then would be 10 Mbaud Ethernet over 50 ohm coax
cable, but failing that, a
PLIP / laplink cable would work, or even a null modem between the UARTs
of the old and new computer.

The advantage of the cable-based approaches obviously is that you don't
copy onto a fairly flaky medium like floppy in the first place. But then
again, if you run some effective hash sum on the old PC, and then again
on the system you are ultimately copying the data to, the error risks
are obviously perfectly manageable.

Kind regards,

Helmut.