[chbot] 18650 battery sources

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 25 23:55:59 BST 2016

Charles mentioned 6 Oct that his experience with 18650 lithium batteries
includes lots of purchases where the batteries lose capacity quickly
after a few cycles, i.e. are basically rubbish.

That's consistent with reports of Chinese factories pulling apart
stuffed laptop batteries, relabelling the extracted cells for on-selling
as brand new total junk. Then they end up on trademe, with clueless
sellers saying they never had any complaints and "anyway, many sales =
good quality product". 'nuff said.

There's are lots of what's collectively referred to as JunkFire(TM), but
no proof that they're ever of any quality.
Capacity claims are lies more often than not.

I found 1 seller on trademe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=254580
who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but he isn't selling
any more. I have his Samsung and Panasonic models and he made sure they
were not fakes.

Aliexpress doesn't sound like a good choice.

Given the situation, where would I best buy something like a dozen 18650
for a reasonable price, >= 2Ah, and no protection?

Can people post their good and bad brands, models and sources/sellers
(all of these please, or it's often of little value)? It's likely of
interest to others too.

The application is powering some stuff for a 5-10 days, I intend to hook
cells up in parallel, with those little protection boards as discharge
protection. Charging in standard chargers, if I have to re-charge once
that's OK.

Thanks muchly,