[chbot] Ultra clear hot glue sticks

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 17 23:10:23 BST 2016

On Sun 02 Oct 2016 15:38:48 NZDT +1300, Winston Wealleans wrote:

> Saw exactly what you want today at Lincraft in the Bush Inn Center
> 7.2mm  x 100mm x 12sticks  $9.45. 6 sticks $4.49.  11.2mm x 100mm x
> 12 sticks $19.90
>
> and upstairs art department Paper Tree at Tower Junction similar.

Thank you so much for that info, it helped a lot!

Thanks also to everyone who pointed out that craft shops carry hot glue
sticks.

I found Paper Tree to have the clearest sticks in the pack, with
Lincraft having clear ones too.

Mark's suggestion of Nayka-branded sticks on amazon and ebay looks good
too. Maybe a bit pricey, and has the usual shipping times.

Aliexpress I found not much good, all they sell is "clear", and they
don't understand the difference between transparent, translucent,
milkey, yellow etc. Some photos look OK but would have to buy on that
only.

Lots of yellowing comes from the glue being kept at temperature, so it's
essential to heat up the glue fast and use it as soon as it's hot. Some
of the glues have "low melting temperature", they probably also yellow
less when used fast.

Charles is of course right in saying to use epoxy instead, and with
anything serious he's right. I find the downsides of that 2-part mix-up
stuff
  * Mixing it up is annoying. Then it doesn't keep long.
  * It's a glue, so will glue touching surfaces well. It's not a filler,
  and often it's useful to have the hot glue hold things in place just
  be having a certain volume of it present.
Sometimes it's useful to have the option to break things apart again.