[chbot] CHCH Robotics Group, meeting notes Robotics 17 Oct 2016

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Oct 17 10:25:10 BST 2016

Hello everyone,

First ever ‘Vintage Computing Evening’ at our new club-rooms.

Good turnout, with 34 attendees and $25 collected and transferred to
BR05 account. Quite a considerable balance of silver in the donations box.

A well received, and most enjoyable evening. We must think about further
show-and-tell events like this...

With thanks on behalf of the group,

Mark Atherton

------------------------

Phillip Lord presented his Apple 1 clone.

Colin brought along Commodore 64 schematics, along with a soft-bound
book containing the associated complete ROM listing.

Rudy turned up with his 4.77MHz NCR PC, complete with 20MB hard drive.
Also a Dick Smith ‘80 MKII’ business computer

Charles displayed his slide rule collection, the oldest being
manufactured in 1903(?)

Synco brought along a tiny pocket Linux computer (circa 2004), as well
as a portable Sharp 8 bit machine, complete with cradle containing
thermal printer, cassette, and power supply.

Richard presented his work on the prototype video sub-system for the
Acorn computer, along with associated hardware. During his talk, one of
the demonstration vintage machines decided to bellow smoke. Possibly the
first time a machine has upstaged one of our speakers.

Peter Harris lugged his ‘portable’ PC in for examination.

John Whitfield had his Atari Mega ST2 running.

Ivo set up his Ampex Core Store and TeleVideo VT52 Terminal.

Graham brought a couple of unsuspecting boards with the words ‘flip
chip’; basic logic elements from his PDP-8I (‘I’ meaning one of DECs
first PDP offerings using ICs !)

Terrance Collins (esq) brought along his good-old-faithful 4.77MHz PC,
complete with hard drive. System was working quite well until Richards talk.

Apologies to anyone who I have forgotten.

Nearly all of the members who brought along a machine spent some time
talking about their equipment.