[chbot] Discrete servos

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Wed Nov 30 23:52:32 GMT 2016

Greetings all

As usual, I'm building something and I can't seem to find what I want off
the shelf. Think pan head for CCTV system.

I can get really cheap ones from AliExpress but they are just about all
Pelco-D controlled which allows pan direction and speed and not actual
proportional control. They are also very slow, taking some 20-30 seconds
for their full range of movement.

A standard rc servo isn't going to be up to the job although the API
(pulse position) would suit, I'm thinking 12v or 24v DC motor, H-bridge,
gearing, feedback pot and control circuitry. Its the last where I can't
get it off the shelf as the industry standard M51660L is 5v only.

Any ideas what would be best to start from such that the mechanics can be
easily adapted with some sort of discrete controller for the proportional
bit?

Thanks

--
Robin Gilks