[chbot] Earth issues

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:32:08 GMT 2016

When the oscilloscope mains earth is not connected you may expect your
scope probe ground lead to achieve half mains potential through the
potential divider formed by the capacitors in the typical mains input
filter circuit shown here:

https://interferencetechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Woodgate-Fig-2-768x407.jpg

The solution is to connect the oscilloscope to mains earth and design your
way around the measurement issues. I have witnessed accidents (bangs,
flashes, smoke and embarrassment) caused by unearthed oscilloscopes and a
moments inattention.

I much prefer to disconnect circuits completely before soldering. You have
less likelihood of damage from static and connected equipment delivered
voltages that way.

Richard Jones