[chbot] OT Big Berta Powersupply

Marshland Engineering marshland at marshland.co.nz
Fri Mar 18 23:06:52 GMT 2016

This group is probably my best bet for a solution.

I bought a rather large power supply from Tait when they had a tidy up about a
year ago. 50 Volt 20 amps. It has become a bit flakey recently and sometimes
the voltage only gets to 20 volts. The PU was made by FernRadio in Auckland
1979. !!!

This unit has a rater different arrangement. It uses Thyristor to charge a
large cap and then this is "filtered" by several power trannies. My guess is
that the Thyristor control is not quite what it used to be. Probably a cap
loosing its capacitance. There are few Tantalums on the one PCB. Should these
be replaced ?

If anyone has worked with this type of unit, can they please get back to me.

It is used to drive a vacuum cleaner motor to 10k RPM for testing electronic
ignitions.

Thanks Wallace 3237449