[chbot] Name of the group

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 21:30:54 GMT 2016

Maybe a good natured show of hands for each name proposal on Monday evening
if it is not too soon?

The initial underlying reasons spelled out for the name change by Andy and
Mark were to make sure people were not put off attending for the first time
by our name. "Christchurch Robotics Group" does not sum up very well what
we are interested in, what we talk about and what we do. Of all the
proposals so far Peter's "Geek Club" seems to summarise us best, Kay's
"Innovators Club" describes well what we aspire to be. I'm not convinced
that either will attract the new recruits that we need for survival and
growth.

How many volunteers do we have to put in the hard yards for the name
change? New snazzy web site, email list, invite cards. Not necessarily a
huge amount of work but it may need funding and doing. Our track record is
not great.

Something like Christchurch Robotics Group Also Known As Christchurch
Technology Club is inclusive enough to avoid putting off the most shy young
recruit and dodge some work of a full name change. It may also save us from
using the off topic prefix OT: for some of our interesting posts to the
email list :-)

Richard Jones