[chbot] Ultrasonic drill or pulsed laser anyone?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 07:02:03 GMT 2016

That's a fair question, Charles, and it had occurred to me, too, but...
drilling a hole 20 times as deep as wide (and 63 mm deep in absolute
terms) is probably not something they are doing often, and it may well
require a different technique and tools than what they use.

Then again, there is no harm in asking them, and even if they don't have
a solution they may know who has.

When I worked at an optician's shop a few decades ago I used a diamond
drill bit to drill the holes in glass lenses when a customer needed true
glass mounted in frame-less spectacles (where the temple hinges are
bolted directly onto the glass). These holes were relatively small,
maybe 1.5 mm diameter and only as deep as the edge of the glass was
thick, usually some 3 to 5 mm. The drill bit had a metal shaft, and the
actual drill part of the bit was a very nicely cut piece of diamond with
an incredibly sharp tip and very sharp edges. But that kind of bit would
not have worked for drilling a really deep hole, because the metal part
holding the diamond tip had a significantly greater diameter than the
diamond tip. The diamond tip was just long enough to drill through the
maximum thickness glass there was...

Helmut.