[chbot] Ultrasonic drill or pulsed laser anyone?

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 05:37:40 GMT 2016

Yes, he may need a diamond drill. But 63 mm deep at 3 mm diameter is
going to be interesting...

The problem with LASER cutting is that (crystalline) quartz is highly
transparent over a very wide spectrum, which is in conflict with
transferring energy from the beam to the material to be cut... I don't
know about ultrasound. How about water jet? Not sure...

Also, the quality of the cut will vary depending on machining technology
and tools used; so it would be good to know the purpose of the whole
affair to decide.

That's my 3 cts worth, and I am by no means an expert on this...

Kind regards,

Helmut.