[chbot] Wilding Pines - Opensource Ecology Project?

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Dec 12 09:36:28 GMT 2016

On Sun 11 Dec 2016 12:14:56 NZDT +1300, Andy ZL3AG wrote:

> target area and it doesn't stray from there). Cuts seedling at/near
> base using electric shear (unless someone has a better idea).

> Potential sticking points: How to recognise the target tree. Can these
> pines be reliably killed by being cut off or will they re-shoot if the
> ground is wet enough at the time?

I happen to know from one the most reliable sources, aka Department of
Conservation, that it is absolutely essential to cut off the trunk below
the lowest needle. Otherwise the tree will coppice, you have problem
times 3, and the mighty ire of DoC on your head. In practice you will
need to move away the top layer of fluff (fallen needles, leaves etc)
from around the trunk to get low enough. After that we also chamfered
the stump, just to be sure.

Yes you can reliably kill those pesty pines but you'll have to
effectively cut below ground level...