[chbot] Robotics club Internet, and spare PCs at BR05 radio club

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 10 23:49:37 BST 2015

On Wed 09 Sep 2015 17:53:49 NZST +1200, Mark Atherton wrote:

Thanks Mark for working on putting together a computer lab.

> Also, wired internet, a suitable Ethernet switch, and possibly our
> own wireless Access Point (only for Robotics use, put in storage
> when not in use). There will be minimal fire-walling to the outside
> world.

The Ethernet switch would be useful if everyone wants to plug in at the
same time. Used 100M switches should be cheap as dirt.

> Volker has shown some interest in setting up an
> Android-snoop-machine, so this is one possible use for a PC. Any
> other applications ? Any other hardware required ?

I have set this up at my place, but I didn't so far get the feeling that
there was much interest in it. My first question would be who will be
using it, because it takes a bit of setting up and obviously, no users,
no point. The requirements would be:

wifi AP. The phone must only be able to connect to this AP, and not
to mobile data (which can't be intercepted outside of the phone easily).
Configuration as required.

Firewall/router, 2 Ethernet ports minimum. Above wifi AP must be
connected on one, upstream Internet to the other. Also ability to
connect a laptop etc to run the show.

Software: I will only touch Linux or pfsense on the firewall (happy for
anyone else to do otherwise). Preferably pfsense, it runs on anything
freebsd runs on. This needs installing. Configuration is not a 5 minute
job!

My aim is to demonstrate above setup at a meeting, which is why I need
unhindered Internet access. Last month I checked that it will be
possible to do that at BR05.