[chbot] Another supply question - bending thin wall channel

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Fri Jan 9 10:39:35 GMT 2015

> Alternatively, just cut out two donuts from sheet, plus a rectangular
> strip for the bottom. Bend the strip to Form a cylinder and weld the rings
> to either side. Would that work?

It would certainly work but would require a huge waste of materials and
I'm not sure that cutting and welding something as thin as 1mm (I really
don't need any more weight in this thing!!) is economic (laser cutting a
$50 sheet will be 2-300 dollars I should think). This also assumes the
part I fit it to is absolutely round - which I doubt it is and who knows
how it will distort when its hot dip galvanised.

I've seen stainless bent round like this so mild steel must be easier!!

How about bending box section and cut the top off :)

--
Robin Gilks
Internet: robin at gilks.org    http://www.gilks.org