[chbot] ESP8266 Modules & solar load management

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:50:17 BST 2015

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the generous offer of a module. Not much progress so far just a
few general ideas. For hot water I'm keen to follow the Peter Harris lead
using the PLL version of Open Energy Monitor. I'm also keen to promote and
comply with NZ wiring standards and electrical safety so I have a little
reading to do.

As for topology I have not figured out whether the ESP8266 can be made into
an almost drop in replacement for the Open Energy Monitor RF module. I was
originally thinking IP multicast but strangely it looks as though putting a
mini web server on the ESP8266 is the lower effort way to serve the amount
of power being imported/exported to connected clients.

I've also been considering cheap off the shelf enclosures for controlling
devices requiring <=10A. Replacing the guts from plug in surge protectors,
timers, RCDs or power meters could be a way to go. However it might be
simpler, cheaper and safer to crack the protocol of a device like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-XiaoMi-Smart-plug-WiFi-Phone-Wireless-Remote-Control-Smart-Socket/32266632483.html

Richard