[chbot] 3D printer kit recommendations, and quick start help

Peter Ellens ellensp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 03:55:03 BST 2014

comments like the following have recently been seen on the reprap forum

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,403509,403772#msg-403772

My take....  its acrylic,, stay away. It will break if you breath on it.
Can only print PLA, as it doesn't have a heated bed.
Only works with 1.75 filament. On it own this isn't an issue, except NZ
suppliers seem to have decided that 1.75 filament will be the same price
per length as 3mm. so its actually ~3 times times the price of 3mm.
Uses a 36 tooth pulley. this lowers the resolution really badly... no more
that 16 tooth is recommended.
They also use the linear rods as the printer structure....  I have a bigger
version of this, it wobbles like anything. It really need additional side
wall supports. (this could be why they make a mini version)
Its based on this http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock and as you can see, they
have side supports.

For yourself whom just want to print. I would recommend
http://seemecnc.com/products/orion-delta-3d-printer or their kit
http://seemecnc.com/products/rostock-max-complete-kit