[chbot] Arduino for $3! & link for 2.2 inch touch screen

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:02:03 BST 2014

As much as I want to play with the ralink boards with mark and the new
STM32Nucleo with Alan, all my projects are currently using Arduino, so I
bought six of them off AliExpress.
 All of them *CHEAP* *CHINESE* and, well, knockoffs (if you can knof off an
open source design)
All of them work perfectly well, all of them work better than the original
(That is because I fried it 8)

I got mine as:
 http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6231716866.html
(So, dammit! the $3 ones are cheaper yet!)

I also needed a programmer for Optiboot so as to use the watchdog:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310506909410
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310635615426
 BUT, when using avrdude with these you need to use the usbasp-clone device
(i.e. -c usbasp-clone)

> What experience and problems have you had with the FTDI replacement
> > USB-serial bridge IC on the Arduino Nano ?
>
> None.
> * The chip is not even specified.
> * If it's a Chinese one, datasheets are anywhere from annoying to
> impossible to get, never mind their quality (I have seen some good ones
> too though).

FFS! seriously! All it has to do is work *as* an Arduino Nano. Which it
does, fine. End of story.
And if you *need* the real FTDI, then pay the extra. But for most uses,
where the USB is for programming and serial interface this is going to work
on YOUR computer. as in. its a *DROP IN REPLACEMENT*

I could order a sample and try it out. Or I could just stick with the
> chip that has been proven to work and proven to have rock-solid drivers,
> and not waste my time on saving $2. It is a useful option to know about,
> thanks to Stewart for pointing out another source of interesting
> components.

What rock solid drivers? Proven by whom? Can you cite the paper? Peer
reviewed in a journal is proof. All else is experience (hearsay). Look at
the 1000's of positive feedbacks if you need that!

> I flagged this as an issue to consider, I didn't say you should go
> either way. Do you have a problem with that?

Yes. It seriously detracts from the positivity of someone presenting a
really good cheap dev board, and takes the conversation on a tangent away
from what is important which is: F! THis is aweomse! So cheap, so useful!

So thanks Stuart, of course its patting myself on the back as Great Minds
think alike 8)

Now... Completely off topic...
I managed to fry the rock solid PL-2303 that I had hacked to work with my
usb-pl2303-Si8400(isolator)-> Nano...
Does anyone have an FTDI I could borrow whilst waiting for some more to
come from DX? (Cheapest so far)
Need an FTDI as need the 5V to power the isolator chip. Hopefully havn't
killed that somehow 8(

8)